Ginger G. Wyrick
6200 Maple Cove Lane
Charlotte, North Carolina 28269
home: 704.948.4363     office: 704.948.4565
Publications And Papers
- FaithSongs, Songs and Activities for Children Grades 2-6.
Abingdon Press. 2003
- Church Music for Children, a complete choir education curriculum. Abingdon Press.
- Author: Younger Elementary (Grades 1-3)--Years 1-3
- Co-Author: Combined Elementary (Grades 1-6)--Years 1-3
- Editor: Combined Elementary (Grades 1-6)--Year 3
- Keyboard Basics: An Introduction To The Piano And Music Reading:
Level 1 and Level 2, an adult beginning piano curriculum.
Hipp, Wyrick & Company, Inc.
- Current group piano curriculum for Queens College Charlotte,
and Central Piedmont Community College.
- Choir 101, An adult church music curriculum in theory, vocal
development, and ministry. Abingdon Press.
- The Choir Member's Companion, a guide to music reading, vocal production and participation in a church choral ensemble. Abingdon Press.
- 52 Arrival Activities, a resource for children's choir directors.
- Liturgical Year Index - Developer/Writer. Designed index database
to cross-reference all Abingdon Press choral octavos. 2003
- Abingdon Press First Choice Choral Club Newsletter: introduce all new choral music;
create teaching plans for all new children's music. 1996-present.
- Joseph: What a Life, a children's musical written by Hal Hopson with production book and teaching sessions by Ginger G. Wyrick. Abingdon Press.
- ``About the Music,'' Church Music Workshop,
article introducing all new music publications for
Abingdon Press (choral, solo, piano, organ, handbell, instrumental).
Winter 1996 - present.
- Augusta Symphony program notes and pre-concert lecture for the 1993-1994 concert season. January Masterworks Concert.
- Emily Dickinson International Society CD review. Leo Smit: 33 Songs on
Poems of Emily Dickinson Spring 2000.
- ``What Can I Do Now? Winding Down the Choir Year,'' Quarter Notes, Winter 1993-1994.
- ``Choir Recognition Service,'' Quarter Notes, Winter 1993-1994.
- ``Southeastern Jurisdiction Convocation'' reporting the proceedings of
Lake Junaluska Music and Liturgical Arts in Worship Week.
- 1993: Worship Arts, November-December 1993
- 1994: Worship Arts, September-October 1994
- 1995: Worship Arts, September-October 1995
- 1996: Worship Arts, September-October 1996
- 1997: Worship Arts, September-October 1997
- Beyond Music Appreciation: The Role of Music in the
Undergraduate Liberal Arts Experience,
Presented at Rethinking Key Issues in College Learning: A National
Multi-disciplinary Conference on College Learning, Elon College,
NC. September 23-25, 1999.
- ``The Graded Choir as Catalyst to Worship Participation'' Presented at Directions in Church Music Towards the Twenty-First Century: A National Church Music Symposium, Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, Tennessee. February 13-15, 1997.
- ``Transitioning Music Education in the Local Church: A New Singing School?'' Presented at the National Conference on Liberal Arts and the Education of Artists, School of Visual Arts, New York. October 18-20, 1995.
- ``Music Education in the Local Church: Ensuring Congregational Song'' Presented at Directions in Church Music Towards the Twenty-First Century: A Church Music Symposium, Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, Texas. October 13-15, 1994.
- ``Soli Deo Gloria: Serving the Church as a Musician'' Presented at Young Harris College. November, 1992.
Workshops and Lectures
- National and Regional Training Events on Church Music for Children;
- Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, Tennessee;
- Virginia Fellowship Fall Seminar, Richmond, Virgina;
- Roswell United Methodist Church. Atlanta, Georgia;
- Louisiana Choristers Guild Chapter, Baton Rouge, Louisiana;
- Lake Junaluska Music and Liturgical Arts Week (1994, 1995, 1996);
- New Bern United Methodist District Workshop, Morehead City, North Carolina;
- First United Methodist Church, Alexander City, Alabama.
- Choristers Guild Summer Seminar: Calvin College, Grand Rapids MI. July 1998.
National Music Week Summer Camp and Workshop. Staff. Creative Movement for
Children, Middle School, and Senior High.
- ``Children in Worship,'' Sing for Joy--National Workshop for Leaders in
Children's Music Ministry: Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, Tennessee.
August 18-21, 1996.
- Lake Junaluska Music And Liturgical Arts Week: Younger Children's Choir (assistant director/accompanist:
June 1991); Music for the small church choir (June 1992); Elementary Conducting (June 1998, 1999), Developing a Summer Music Camp (June 2000);
Rehearsal Techniques for the Small Church Choir (June 2000).
- Small Church Choir Weekend at Lake Junaluska. Vocal and Choral Techniques.
1998 to present; Conducting 1999 and 2000.
- The Child's Voice and Orff in the Church Music Curriculum: Workshop for cildren's directors and leaders, Carson-Newman College and First Baptist Church, Jefferson City, Tennessee. August, 1999.
- Children's Music Leadership Conference Clinician. Knollwood Baptist Church, Winston-Salem, NC. May 30, 2000.
- Preschool Music Leadership Conference Clinician. Knollwood Baptist Church, Winston-Salem, NC. January 27, 2001.
- Adult Choir Development Workshop. First United Methodist Church,
Roanoke Rapids, NC. March 30 - April 1, 2001.
- Children's Music Development Seminar: Mississippi Chapter of The Fellowship of United Methodists
in Music and Worship Arts. August, 1998.
- Child Development Symposium: Workshop for Children's Directors and Leaders, Southeastern Jurisdiction
Assembly/Lake Junaluska. June, 1998, 1999.
- ``Why Church Music,'' First United Methodist Church, Alexander City, Alabama; First Presbyterian Church, Moncks Corner, South Carolina.
- ``Barley and Sardines: Is That All,''
worship design/leadership and seminar for
Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church,
Hendersonville, NC, May 5, 1996.
- Chamber Music at Queens College: Pre-concert Lecture. November 21, 1997,
- Augusta Symphony: Prepared program notes and presented the pre-concert lecture. Masterworks Concert, January, 1994.
- ``The Role of Fine Arts in Cultural Development''--Kiwanis.
- ``Breathing and Vocal Production for the Spoken Voice''--Toastmasters International.
- ``Music in Worship: Discovering the Diversity of Music in Liturgy''--The United Methodist Church
- ``The Psalms in Worship: An Approach to Praise and Lament''--The United Methodist Women.
- The United Methodist Hymnal. Seminar leader presenting the new United Methodist Hymnal; Atlanta, Georgia, 1989.
- ``What Is a Professional Musician''--Lakeside Middle School.
University and Community Work Experience
- Queens University of Charlotte
- Chamber Choir Conductor
- Royal Showstoppers Conductor/Choreographer
- Applied Piano
- Applied Voice
- Opera Workshop - Music Director
- Functional Piano
- Class Piano I, II
- Central Piedmont Community College
- CPCC Chamber Choir Conductor
- Opera Workshop - Coach, Accompanist, and Conductor
- Church Music
- Music Appreciation
- Applied Voice and Piano
- Class Piano and Advanced Piano
- Class Voice
- Brevard College,
Bervard, NC: Sacred Music Project Faculty Council, VP, Special Programs.
- South Carolina Music Teachers National Association Collegiate and High School Piano Competition
- South Carolina Piano Festival 2003
- Charlotte Piano Teachers Forum Auditions
- Charlotte Music Teachers' Scholarship Competition: Piano.
- Georgia Literary Auditions: Male and Female Solo, Male Quartet, Girls Trio, Piano.
- Augusta Opera Chorusmaster.
- Augusta Opera Performer, solo and chorus.
- Charlotte Oratorio Singers: Symphony Chorus Performer.
- Charlotte Chamber Singers: Ensemble Member.
- Kindermusik Teacher (licensed): children 18 months - 7 years.
- Southern Methodist University: Interim conductor of University Choir, Mustang Chorale and Choral Union.
- Perkins School of Theology: Conductor for Church Music Colloquium, Credo (Vocal Ensemble) and Handbells.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro: Assistant Conductor Men's Glee Club, Guest Conductor Women's Choir and Symphonic Chorus.
- Greensboro Civic Chorale: Guest Conductor, arranged and conducted a work for this chorale.
- Private Instructor: Piano, Voice, Theory.
- Winners/Participants : ACDA National Children's Chorus, Augusta Opera (solo, chorus), Georgia Governor's School, Georgia Literary, Georgia MTNA, Collegiate Scholarships, Augusta Civic Chorale (solo).
Church Work Experience
- HWACI: Music and Litergical Arts Consultant developing music and fine
- Westminster Presbyterian Church: Charlotte, North Carolina.
Director of Music/Organist and Music Ministry Consultant.
- St. John's Baptist Church: Charlotte, NC.
Develop and direct middle school choir.
Interim organist/choir director.
- American Guild of Organists Charlotte Chapter Substitute: organ, choral conducting.
Familiar with Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Lutheran,
Episcopal, and other protestant denominations.
- First United Methodist Church: Thomson, Georgia. Minister of Music.
- Southeastern Jurisdiction Associate for The Fellowship of United Methodists in Worship, Music and Other Arts--design team member and secretary for Lake Junaluska Music and Liturgical Arts Week.
- North Georgia Chapter President: The Fellowship of United Methodists in Worship, Music & Other Arts.
- Western North Carolina Treasurer: The Fellowship of United Methodists in Music and Worship Arts.
- St. Paul's United Methodist Church: Garland, Texas. Organist/Choirmaster.
- Northside Baptist Church: Burlington, North Carolina. Organist/Choirmaster.
- First Baptist Church: Elon College, North Carolina. Pianist/Assistant Organist.
Guest appearances (as conductor):
- West Virginia ACDA Middle School Honors Choir. January 2004.
- Houston Choristers Guild Youth Choir Festival. February 2004.
- Fellowship of American Baptist Musicians National Conference.
Children's Choir and Middle School Choir director. July 2003.
- Gregg Smith Singers concert at Queens College. November 2000.
- Middle Elementary Choir director, Lake Junaluska Music and Liturgical Arts
Week sponsored by the Southeastern Jurisdiction Fellowship. June 2001.
- Roanoke Rapids United Methodist Church Choir Festival director.
March 20-April 1, 2001.
- Mobile Choristers Guild Children's Choir Festival, Mobile, Alabama,
February 10, 2001.
- Virginia Children's Choir Festival, Virginia Wesleyan College Department of Sacred Music and Choristers Guild. March , 2000.
- Western North Carolina Fellowship Children's Choir Festival, April, 2000.
- Berkley County All-County Chorus: March, 1998.
- Church Music Weekend at Lake Junaluska, Southeastern Jurisdiction Event: August, 1998, October, 1999.
- St. Stephen's United Methodist Church Childrens Choir Festival, Charlotte, NC: April 4-5, 1998.
- First Presbyterian Church Music Camp: Moncks Corner, South Carolina. Designed music camp, created curriculum, trained leadership, produced and conducted musical.
- Broadmoor United Methodist Church Music and Arts Camp, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Choral Clinician.
- Mississippi Annual Conference of United Methodists Conferfest. Choral Clinician.
- Festival of Texas Composers Annual Conference. Conducted premier performance of M. L. Daniels' Make a Joyful Noise.
- Worship and Arts Choral Workshop: First United Methodist Church, Alexander City, Alabama. Choral Clinician.
- Greensboro Civic Chorale: performing my arrangement of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Law is the True Embodiment from Iolanthe.
- North Carolina American Choral Directors Choral Festival: University of North Carolina at Greensboro Men's Glee Club.
- 10th District Music Educators National Conference Choral Festival.
- Augusta District Celebration Massed Choir.
- Augusta District Children's Choir Festival.
- Faculty--Southeastern Jurisdiction Music and Liturgical Arts Week, Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
- Faculty--North Georgia Cooperative School of Missions, Reinhardt College, Waleska, Georgia.
- Faculty--North Georgia Fellowship Youth Choir Camp, Young Harris College, Young Harris, Georgia.
- First Presbyterian Church, Dallas, Texas, Handbells for inner-city children.
- Theatre Charlotte, Music Director/Conductor.
- Damn Yankees 2001
- Man of La Mancha 2003
Guest appearances (other):
- Premiered new Richard Kingston harpsichord for First Baptist Church, Gastonia, North Carolina. April, 1999.
- Guest Harpsichordist with Charlotte Repertory Orchestra and Gardner-Webb University. May, 1999.
- Faculty Recitals, Queens College.
- Faculty Recitals, Central Piedmont Community College.
- Queens College Flute Choir member.
- Soprano soloist with the Thomson Community Chorus and Orchestra for Handel's Messiah.
- ``A Mozart Festival: In Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of His Death''--recital featuring works for voice, solo piano, piano four hands, two piano four hands, flute and organ, 1991.
- Faculty/Accompanist--Southeastern Jurisdiction Music and Liturgical Arts Week, Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
- Soloist: voice, piano, organ, flute.
Professional Memberships and Offices
- American Choral Directors Association--North Carolina ACDA Treasurer
- Music Teachers National Association
- Friends of Music at Queens College--Board of Directors:
Vice President 1999-2000,
Corresponding Secretary 1998-1999,
Education Committee, Marketing Committee.
- The Fellowship of United Methodists in Worship Arts
(Tresurer NC Chapter, former President GA Chapter; SEJ Representative)
- Choristers Guild
- The American Guild of Organists
- Charlotte Music Teachers Club
- Charlotte Music Teachers Association
- Major Works conducted and/or prepared for other conductors:
- Der herr denket an uns (Cantata 196)
- Jesu, Meine Freude, BWV 227 (Motet III)
- Komm, Jesu, Komm, BWV 225 (Motet V)
- Uns ist ein Kind geboren BWV 142
- Christmas Oratorio (excerpts)
- Cantata BWV 15 (excerpts)
Berlioz--L'enfance du Christ(excerpts)
- Mass in C Major, Op. 86
- Missa Solemnis
- Ninth Symphony (Fourth Movement)
- Liebeslieder Walzer, Op. 52
- Ein Deutsches Requiem
F. Delius--Sea Drift
- Ceremony of Carols
- Rejoice in the Lamb
Gounod--Romeo and Juliet
Hanson--Song of Democracy
- Judas Maccabaeus (excerpts)
- Coronation Anthem: Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened
McKelvy--A Madrigal Dinner at the Home of Charles Wesley (fully staged)
Menotti--Amahl and the Night Visitors (fully staged)
- St. Paul (excerpts)
- The Magic Flute
- Mass in C (Coronation), K. 317
- C Minor Mass, KV. 427
Pfautsch--The Legend of Befana
- Magnificat in D major
- Nun danket alle Gott
Saint-Saens--Christmas Oratorio (excerpts)
Thompson--The Peaceable Kingdom
- Mass in B flat
- Mass in G
- Mass in F (Deutsche Mass)
- Miriam's Song Of Triumph
- Appearances with Augusta Opera:
Madame Butterfly: Kate Pinkerton
Oklahoma: dream scene soloist
Lucia da Lamamoor
The Merry Wives of Windsor
My Fair Lady
Romeo and Juliet
Augusta Opera at St. Paul's (Annual Concert: 1988-1994)
The King and I
Conductors with whom I have worked:
- Robert Shaw--assisted in preparation of chorus for concert which he conducted with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Lloyd Pfautsch--SMU faculty, retired
- John Yarrington--SMU Faculty
- Rosemary Heffley--SMU Faculty
- Howard Dunn--SMU Faculty
- John S. C. Kemp--SMU interim choral director
- Andre Thomas--Florida State University: workshop on choral conducting and concert
- Richard Cox--UNCG Faculty
- William P. Carroll--UNCG Faculty and Greensboro Civic Chorale
- Hillary Apfelstadt--UNCG Faculty
- John Horman--collaborated on two festival workshops, co-leaders for
younger children's choir (Lake Junaluska Music Week),
faculty at Sing for Joy
- Rodney Eichenberger--Florida State University: workshop on choral conducting and concert
- Sir David Willcocks--workshop on conducting and arranging
- William Mathias--workshop on choral conducting and concert of his music
- Helen Kemp--workshops on children's choral music, worked together with
Church Music for Children, faculty at Sing for Joy
- Ann Howard Jones--workshop on choral conducting and concerts
- Melvin Brown--Augusta Opera
- Ted Taylor--Augusta Opera
- Mark Flynt--Augusta Opera
- Jerry Steichen--Augusta Opera
- Randy Booth--Augusta Opera
- Douglas Fisher--Augusta Opera
Private Instruction (abbreviated list)
- Dr. Joseph DiPiazza (UNCG Faculty)
- Dr. David Karp (SMU Faculty)
- Elaine Bingenheimer (Elon College Faculty)
- Dale Caldwell
- John Ferguson (masterclass/workshop)
- Robert Anderson (SMU Faculty; masterclass/workshop)
- Linda Bair (SMU Faculty)
- Ellen Poindexter (UNCG Faculty)
- Melvin Brown (Augusta Opera)
- Rebecca Cook-Carter
- Neil Clegg (UNCG Faculty)